Sunday, January 13, 2013

Birds and Thank Yous


I made a quilt for my mom a while back. Originally I was thinking of just making a wall piece with a couple of large blocks but I didn't feel satisfied with that so I made another set of the blocks and then realized that putting just about anything else in between them would be too busy (due to my fabric choice).


So in the end I decided to just put white in the middle and sew on a few birds and branches with red buttons on the ends.

This was also my first try at hand quilting. It was a bit of a mess in the back but I really enjoyed doing it. Plus, I figure that if anyone is going to be inclined to love my sloppy quilting, it would have to be my mother. Mother's have a habit of loving your crafts no matter how amateur they might be.

One of the other reasons I wanted to do some hand quilting (specifically my first) on a quilt for my mom is because all my life I've watched her quilt. I always have this image of her in our living room, watching shows or playing scrabble with me while quilting.

I think quilting to her is like writing to me and when I moved to Sweden I realized how much I miss seeing her do it. The only thing I could do was learn to do it myself.

I suppose this quilt is a thank you of sorts, for being so artsy and raising me around such beautiful and intricate things. My mom and her whole side of the family are incredibly artistic and crafty people, a tradition I'm more than happy to learn and uphold.


No comments:

Post a Comment